Delta T Alert™ is mainly designed to detect temperature increases within electrical enclosures caused by poor connections and overloaded circuits. Causes of poor connections include:
Poor connections and overloaded circuits are directly responsible for more than 30% of electrical failures.
Delta T Alert™ - Advantages
- Ability to record up to (8) readings per day at specific time intervals.
- Readings recorded under different load conditions during all seasons.
- Trending over time.
- Reduced Energy Costs - Delta T Alert™ allows for the immediate repair of loose connections once detected. Loose and/or dirty connections create increased resistance which results in higher energy costs. The cost of cleaning and/or replacement of electrical components is low compared to the significant energy savings.
According to Flir, energy savings vary by temperature differential and current (amps). Energy savings can be calculated using a Flir created tool call “Indirect Power Calculation from Surface Temperatures”. The following are considered reasonable estimates - $1.50/day for critical faults; $0.75/day for serious; $0.40/day for intermediate; and $0.15/day for minor. A cost of $0.15 per kilowatt-hour is used to develop these estimates, but energy cost may be higher in some areas.
It is not uncommon for a one million square foot office building to have 10 critical faults related to loose electrical connections. Based on that information, $1.75 per day x 10 critical faults x 300 operational days per year = $5,250.00 energy loss just from the critical faults. This energy loss amount does not include faults of a lesser degree.
According to Infrared Research Inc. - The average business may see a 1 percent to 4 percent savings in energy costs over a non-maintained system, (“Infrared Thermography Can Prevent Energy Losses,” Maintenance Technology, June 2001).
The US Department of Energy states - In a study of three industrial facilities, average electrical distribution system losses accounted for 2% of plant annual energy use. Losses due to poor electrical connections represented one-third of these losses and accounted for 40% of the savings after corrective actions were taken. To view this US Department of Energy document, click here.
- The Delta T Alert™ monitoring system is an operations and maintenance solution that can help qualify your facility for LEED certification.
- Safety - maintenance personnel and/or electricians will have an enormous safety advantage if they are warned, prior to any routine maintenance or troubleshooting, of possible electrical anomalies prior to accessing electrical enclosures
Delta T Alert™ - Limitations
Delta T Alert™ is not designed to detect: